Wednesday, December 9, 2009

American Football


American Football is the only math rock band I still listen to. Every other gimmick the others have overused, this band avoided, and the result is some of the prettiest, most relaxing music made. The lyrics are also a selling point for me; they are the most honest little portraits of a teenager's sad life, and whether that is ironic or resonant to you, there's something deeper to them. I'm not sure if the music or the words came first, but the two complement each other so well that in the end it doesn't even matter. I get the same melancholy from this as from Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, another album that rises above its description as a "mature" outing from a "newly grown up" band.

Basically, American Football is like the good parts of A Catcher in the Rye. I know completely discredits my integrity as a music reviewer, but nevertheless you should listen.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lhxwlf0jond

No comments: